The church was formed in 1780 by some who left the General Baptist cause at a place called The Studio on "The Hill". These people met for worship in a large house almost opposite The Studio called Shepherds House. In 1786, two cottages were purchased and converted into the present Chapel. In 1959, three cottages adjoining the Chapel were demolished and the site was made into a car park.Many improvements have been made over the years including pews taken from Zion Forest Hill (installed in 1966) and a new porch added in 2000. The River Crane runs underneath the nearby road and there are several springs in the area with one running directly underneath the Chapel which has caused problems over the years.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.