In 1845, Mr Covell began to preach once a month on Sundays at Beddington Corner and on other Sundays in his shop. Soon these places became too small and Ebenezer Chapel in the old town was hired. This also soon became too small and friends were determined to build a new Chapel in West Street. The people had a mind to work and Providence Chapel was opened in March 1848. It flourished under the ministry of Francis Covell (1850 - 1879). He was followed by Walter Brooke and Walter Croft. The final pastor before closure in 2017 was Richard Field.
Photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.