The church was formed in 1828 by seven members who separated from the Independent Chapel in the village. They then met in a small building in the Top of Town area of Thurlstone. At special services when numbers were expected to be greater, they met in the Old School Room. As there was no baptistry, members were baptised in Mess Brook where they had to construct a dam as the brook was too small, then later, they baptised in the River Don. The present Chapel was built in 1867 with a baptistry built outside in the grounds, but in 1928 a new baptistry was built inside.
Photo and information courtesy of Alan Rayner.