In 1853 a few friends met in a room in South Street and in 1864 a Wesleyan Chapel in Grove Road was bought and a church was formed. The congregation grew and in 1881 the present Chapel was opened on a new site in Grove Road. The Chapel was closed in 1940 during the Second World War due to bomb damage. In the meantime services were held in a school room in the old town. The re-construction of the building was completed and the Chapel was re-opened in 1950.
Photo and text courtesy of Alan Rayner.