Friends who lived in Tunbridge Wells but who worshiped at Matfield were encouraged by Mr Austin, then pastor of Matfield Green, to start services of their own. In 1832 they met in a small room and a year later they moved to a school room. In 1834, the church was formed and the present Chapel was built. In the early years, the singing was led by a flute. Over the years, vestries, a school room and galleries were added.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.