was built in Mermaid Street in 1753. The present Bethel Chapel, which is located in the area which is known as "Rye Foreign",was built in approximately 1858. After Mr Taverner's death, the Chapel closed for a while. The timber in the building was affected by dry rot and a fungal infection attacked the wood and the walls. It was necessary to carry out remedial work in 1989 to deal with this problem. The chapel closed in 2020.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.