Mr David Fenner came to preach at the Cow Lodge Chapel sometime between 1812-1815, but after a few years, opposition arose and he was asked to leave. He then began preaching in a carpenter's shop until 1817 when Ebenezer Chapel was built and the church was formed in 1818. The building was enlarged in 1821, 1873 and 1882,and was closed for a time during the Second World War. In 1998, the Chapel became too costly to maintain and another site was bought in St Leonards and opened in June of that year. Remarkably, the exchange of contracts were signed on the same day so that not a single service was missed.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.