In about 1804 a few people met in a Chapel in Park Lane which was called "Providence" and was built by Mr Rushmore, but as very few people attended it eventually closed. In 1832 a Chapel was built in Ebenezer Street by Mr A Sprague who later became the first pastor. During the following years, numbers decreased until Mr A Cook became pastor in 1844. After a time, the present Chapel was built in 1853, seating about 500 people. Subsequently, the Gospel Standard Articles were adopted. The Sunday School at the rear of the building was added in 1884. During recent years, this school room has been used for services, and many improvements have been carried out. The chapel closed in 2020.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.