Zion chapel was opened in 1794 and over the years the cause had several pastors, but during the early 1800's, there was a separation and the Chapel closed for a while. In 1840, a Mr Baker opened his house for services according to Strict Baptist lines and the church was formed in 1847. There was a disagreement during the preparations for building a Chapel and some of the congregation left and returned to hire Zion Chapel. The church secured the freehold in 1918. The Chapel was closed in 1941 but re-opened in July 1942.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.