In 1814 Mr J Godsmark began preaching in his cottage, and in 1844 the friends then met in the Old Custom House in Church Street. Between 1850-1860, a number of friends went to Brighton to worship but as there were difficulties involved in travelling to Brighton, some of them met in a houseboat on the River Adur. In 1866 they started to meet in a cottage in Ship Street, and later that year the Chapel was built. The church was formed in 1882 by Mr Picknell of Redhill and a baptistry was added later in 1902.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.