Bethel Chapel was built in 1850 and a church was formed in 1853. About this time, the building had to be pulled down and a new one was erected in its place, the congregation then had some difficulty paying the mortgage on the new building. In due course, some people left and followed Mr T Russell and Providence Chapel was built in 1858 in South Street. After Mr Russell's death, the cause practically collapsed, but a new church was formed in 1877.
Text and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner.