Baptists had been worshipping in Biddenden since about 1660 in barns and houses around the area. In time a Chapel was built and opened in 1880 by a Mr J Hickmott of Smarden who had the desire in his heart for 50 years to build a Chapel. Shortly before the Chapel was finished,Mr John Kemp of Wadhurst had commenced to preach and he felt compelled to accept the pastorate of an as yet unfinished Chapel with no congregation. The church was formed in 1882. At his jubilee service in 1930 there were over 1,000 in the congregation and some large tents were put up to accommodate everyone present. The Chapel is built where 4 parishes meet - Biddenden, Frittenden, Headcorn and Smarden.
Photo and text courtesy of Alan Rayner.