The current chapel was opened in 1898 by Mr A W Tiptaft. This replaced a couple of earlier buildings as the congregation grew, principally under the long pastorate of Mr F O Yates (1890-1932). The original chapel opened in 1840, in Joseph Bowater's cottage garden, with a church formed in 1856. Leslie Falkner followed Mr Yates, preaching to a large congregation during the war years. Mr Falkner was followed by Mr J Turner from 1954 to 1960, with Mr Falkner commencing a second pastorate in 1964. Following his resignation in 1973 no further pastors were appointed. There followed a period of decline and the church meeting at the chapel was disbanded in the early 2000s.