The first Chapel was opened in 1856 in Northam Road by Mr Isbell and was called Ebenezer, but by 1863 it seems to have closed. Another congregation opened Salem Chapel in 1873, but this also soon closed in 1876. In 1879, a few friends met to form a Strict Baptist Church in a house. In time, a Chapel was built in New Road in 1883. In 1940, during the Second World War, the building was bombed, so the friends met in various places including Mordaunt Hall, until the present Chapel was built in 1953 with funds provided through the War Damage Commission. The money available was divided between Southampton and Romford Chapels.
Taxt and photo courtesy of Alan Rayner